Saturday, April 9, 2011

Burning Incense

The Way of Love is open to All. ------ After the funeral, I suddenly felt hungry, for the first time, it seemed, since the death. As I bit into the liverwurst on pumpernickel, I looked out the window of the coffee shop, and thought of my friend. In the rain, as the coffin was lowered into the ground, she had stared straight ahead. She didn't cry. Her son had committed suicide. Had she prayed that he would come back to her? Absolutely, yes. Did he come back to her? No. He is dead. Had I prayed for my friend, that she would find healing? Absolutely, yes. But, prayer is not magic. Perhaps, prayer can be described as an on-going relationship between the individual and God? An open conversation, in which we speak, and actively listen.------- An artist, a young man has been recently diagnosed with macular degeneration, too advanced for someone his age. He no longer is able to see clearly. Despite squinting, and rubbing his eyes, all has become a blur. He thought about throwing all his paints out in the trash. After all, he would no longer be able to paint in the same way. All colors were now a blur to him. He made a remarkable decision. He chose to paint by faith. Before, when he had perfect vision, he painted for a worldly audience. Now, of his own free will, he chooses to paint for God.------- Did this young man pray for his vision to be restored? He confessed that he had thought about it. But, instead he chose to Accept. Did I pray for this young man? Absolutely, yes. I prayed that he would be granted the wisdom and strength to endure, lovingly and patiently, whatever might come.------- A year passed since the suicide of my friend's son. I joined a support group for people who had suffered any kind of loss. All loss is painful. To my amazement, the moderator of the group was my friend! I sat in the circle, silently watching, listening as men and women cried and shared their pain. I watched my friend console others, perhaps just as God had consoled her. Her personal tragedy had become a source of light that she could now share with others, helping them to heal. I cried too, not because I felt sad. I cried at the glory and majesty of God. He works in such wondrous ways! The man with macular degeneration was in the room as well. He mourned the person he used to be. Pain is not a one time phenomenon. Sometimes, pain, even if it is overcome, regretfully can resurface, as a bittersweet memory; a private personal agony. We held hands, in that circle, and prayed. Once again, prayer is not magic. Does God hear all our prayers? Absolutely, yes! Does God answer all our prayers? Absolutely, yes! But, sometimes, His answer is "No, my child. My Will is enough for you."------ I love the image of prayer as the gentle fragrance of burning incense Rising into the air. Prayer is hope-filled. Prayer is honest dialogue with God. He loves the real us! Prayer is love. And as we pray, honestly, openly, allowing ourselves to be vulnerable, we rise. ------ We rise!

No comments:

Post a Comment